Sunday, February 16, 2014

Travels During a Gelid and Mysterious Morning


The musky darkness surrounded us and seemed to stick the cold air to our bodies. Only a small peak of the sun was visible in the distance, slowly making its climb to the top of the trees. The frosty morning dew clung to the tips of the grass, and left dampness on the luscious coat of my furry companion. His eagerly wagging tail slapped against the back of my jeans in an effort to gain my attention. I stared down at his large black pupils and crooked smile. Highlights of the trees and power lines reflected into his deep black pools. His pink tongue hung to the side of his sharp yellow teeth, and his breath showed in visible puffs of smoke. Mine was visible as well, but in larger and denser packs of smoke. In the distance, I spotted a yellowish tint shining down through the fog. I strode toward it at a brisk pace, with the collar of my furry companion clicking behind me. I stared up at the glaring streetlamp, the only light that had appeared all morning besides the barely peeking sun. Moths and other critters allured by its presence had become permanently stuck in its burning luminescence. I seated myself directly under the streetlamp, the gelid sidewalk causing my legs to shiver. With a gloved hand, I unlatched the leash and watched as scurrying paws ran around me in circles, overwhelmed by their sudden freedom. I turned my attention the ball of orange fire that was rising at a quicker speed in the distance. Eventually its presence engulfed the treetops and morning had officially begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment